Wednesday, February 13, 2008

First Blog Post EVER! Mary and D'Ann, Please don't laugh, but here's my first blog post. I'm nervous enough about keeping up with this, so I hereby give you permission to knock me upside the head--or tickle me--if I fall more than two weeks--er, better make that a month behind. As you know this is a big step. I've resisted moving into the blogosphere for many reasons.

#1: I'm paranoid no one will read my blog! A little part of me has always dreaded the notion of giving a party that no one comes to--and blogging could be just like that. Promise me you'll stop by frequently.

#2: I'm nervous about change. I haven't always been like that, but in pondering the notion, I think my stroke might have something to do with it. Being less sure of myself--my cognitive abilities, anyway--slows me from tackling new areas in life. I've taken on almost nothing new since 2004 except for areas I've been "forced" into--becoming a cheer mom, teaching Girlz-4-God. I love both of these now that I've gotten used to them.

#3: I'm afraid I won't be able to keep up with it the way my firstborn, choleric personality would like. Never content to do something halfway (Can you say re-typing the whole page of the English essay instead of using Whiteout?!?), I'd cringe if I got behind, had typos, or failed my reader(s) in any way.

#4: I have difficulty learning new things. OK, that may not be entirely true. I'm able to learn about things I love (my husband and his work, my kids and their pursuits, researching for speeches and articles). So maybe what I fear with blogging is that I won't fall passionately in love with it and therefore find it easy to keep up with regular postings.

#5: I'm busy. I know that's not a good one because everyone's busy with life. I just don't want to be too busy to do this well. (See #3.)

Whew! I feel better just getting all that off my chest. And you know what dawned on me as I got to #5? The reason I'm paranoid, nervous, afraid, have difficulty and am so busy is because I try to hard to do things under my own power. I need to yield this area--as with all others--to the Holy Spirit and trust Him to take away said paranoia, nervousness, fear, stress and busy-ness.

All that to say, thanks for "listening" and supporting this new endeavor.
Stay real!

4 comments:

Mary DeMuth said...

YOU GO GIRL!!!

Way to do your first post.

So proud!

I look forward to your ramblings.

With clapping,
Mary

Anne Mateer said...

You've got it down already. It's just a place to be real--to reach all those mommies your heart longs to reach. We're here to cheer you on and keep you writing. Think of it as something you are "giving" rather than you have to "do."

I'm so proud of you! And I love Cartoon Les!

D'Ann

P.S. I, too, fear the give-a-party-and-no-one-comes thing. But guess what? People come to my blog. And you have a much bigger pool of people who want to hear whatever you have to say!

carla stewart said...

Hi Leslie,
I was slow finding my way to the world of blogging for all the same reasons you just cited. I especially cringed at your Choleric--first born rationale. Yes! Yes! Most of the time I even write my posts in a word document and paste onto my blog for fear I will accidentally publish something with a typo.
I found your site via D'Ann (Mary's a writing friend, too). Great start. I spun around over on your website. Beautiful, fun place.
My best to you.

Heather said...

Welcome to the blogging world! I'm with ya on those fears, so why I would make this year's prayer a prayer of insignificance and a freedom from the slavery of self, I don't know (insignificance--what was I thinking?).
Looking forward to seeing that humor.
Heather @ L'Chaim